This blog was spun up to spread some better beta for the tiny areas in central MD. It’s built up a better collection of free Maryland guides than you’re likely to find elsewhere, but… there hasn’t been a new guide posted since April 2013. woof.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the west coast, Mountain Project’s less helpful here than it is there, and no matter where you are, RockClimbing.com’s a better forum site than climbing resource. The work required to put out good beta on those two is why this site is here. Turns out the joke’s on me; mini-guides aren’t easier.
CliffCloud‘s been in the works for a while, but it’s finally at a point where it can handle some use. Here’s the gist:
- It’s built so that climbing developers can put out good beta fast. Everyone benefits.
- Contributing is (somewhat) limited
- If you’re itching to contribute, email firstname.lastname@example.org and you’ll get set up as an area developer. Eventually it’ll be open to anyone.
- Make a profile!
- Log in with Google; CliffCloud only gets the info a visitor would see on your Google+ profile, nothing sensitive.
- You’ll be able to start building climb collections right away
- tick lists, sent routes, area classics, rainy day routes — anything
- If you’ve got videos, add their links to the climbs. Nobody wants to read beta; videos are the best medium for beta.
- The site’s mobile friendly!
- With a charged phone, you’ll have a guide at the crag. For free!
MDGuides will still be here, just inactive (barring user submitted guides). Put your new stuff on CliffCloud!